You know that place you go when you’re so intensely focused, making big things happen, rocking through that inbox, killing the to-do list and feeling just plain good about being really, really productive.
I had every intention of finding that place today. But its been really difficult. I’m distracted. I’m hungry. I’m full of a thousand ideas. I’m anxious.
I’m d i s t r a c t e d.
How do you get to that place? I know what I need to do -
- Eliminate sound distraction. Turn off the music (or turn on quiet music that helps you focus). Put your cell phone on vibrate (in fact, tuck that puppy in your pocket).
- Eliminate visual distraction. Clear off your desk. Make sure you don’t have anything important unsaved and “force quit” everything application running on your desktop. Clear your desktop by filing any extra files, documents and screenshots. GET OFF FACEBOOK (REAL LIFE > FACEBOOK).
- Move quickly through your inbox. Don’t answer anything yet. Use the flag system to “red flag” emails that need to be responded to. I use Mac Mail and it files these flagged emails in a separate folder. Delete the emails you don’t need to do anything with. CLEAR your inbox to 0. Your flagged folder might have 115 in it, but your inbox is empty.
- Download. Get it out of your head and onto paper. Everything from to-dos, to anxious thoughts to “I need to fold the laundry in the dryer and stop turning it back on to avoid it.” (You know you do it!)
- Make a 1-5 to do list. Write down your top five to-dos for today. This is all you need to accomplish.
You can do this. Make yourself find that place for the next hour.
Ready to dive more into this? Make it happen.